Philadelphia Bankruptcy Attorney Dan Mueller of Harborstone Law Group.

If you are struggling to pay your bills, call me for a free consultation. If creditors are harassing you, I can help you put a stop to it. Even if your home is in foreclosure, it may not be too late to save it. I will listen to you and help you find the answer that best fits your situation.

Harborstone Law Group represents consumers in bankruptcy and debt negotiation matters throughout Philadelphia, Montgomery County, Delaware County, Chester County, and Bucks County in Pennsylvania.

6 comments to Banks May Freeze Your Accounts After Bankruptcy Filing: Move It or Lose It

  • adam

    Can a bank freeze funds that were deposited after you filed?

    • Adam,

      I believe you mean a bank with a right to setoff. The right to setoff is limited to funds in the bank at the time of filing. Therefore, the freeze should be limited to funds in the account at the time of filing. However, mistakes happen, and it can take time to get the matter resolved.

      To avoid this situation, do not bank with a creditor if you plan to file for bankruptcy. If you do, move your accounts to a new bank before filing.


  • Amanda

    When you file bankruptcy, remove funds and close account with a bank you owe money to, is it possible to ever go back to that bank? I miss the bank I was with, but I’m paranoid about them being able to somehow come back at me, freeze my account or something of that sort.

  • Nicholas

    Can a bank freeze your account or take your assets after after you are discharged from a bankruptcy?

    • If the debts were discharged in bankruptcy, a creditor cannot take any collection action against the debtor. Such action is a violation of the Bankruptcy Code and potentially federal and state fair debt collection practices statutes. However, there are certain debts that are not generally dischargeable in bankruptcy, such as student loans and some taxes. If the debt is a non dischargeable debt, the creditor can collect after discharge. You should immediately seek the advice of an attorney.